To update drivers on Windows, the easiest way is to download a suitable driver update program. This can be done, for example, by searching the Internet for free driver update programs such as Snappy or DriverEasy. Remember to download them only from official websites or trusted sources to avoid installing malware.
After installing the program, run it and run a scan of your computer in it to identify all outdated or missing drivers. You can then choose which drivers you want to update and install them with the program. Remember to always be careful when updating drivers and make sure you only install them from verified sources.
Unfortunately, most of these types of driver finders are paid, but half-paid - that is, they allow you to find a driver for free, but no longer to download and install it, which can be very annoying if you need to install a particular driver on Windows on short notice.
Best free Windows driver finder software
- Snappy - Snappy Driver Installer (SDI) is a free program for updating drivers on Windows. Its main advantage is that it allows you to download and install drivers directly from the Internet, so you don't have to waste time downloading and installing them manually. The program scans your computer for missing or outdated drivers, and then allows you to download and install them at the same time. There are no ads, it's "portable" (no need to install from an .exe file), and it works offline. On the downside - it's a bit archaic and doesn't allow you to schedule scans.
- Driver Booster - has a huge database of 6 million drivers (8 million in the paid version...), creates restore points by updating drivers, allows you to schedule scans, has no daily download limits, works offline. Unfortunately, it constantly reminds us of its paid version of the program, contains ads, has 2 million more drivers in the Pro version and tries to push us unnecessary software during the first installation.
- Driver Easy - quickly finds drivers, allows you to schedule system scans, downloads drivers directly from manufacturers, installs quickly and can find a network driver even while offline. However, the download is quite slow, we have to install updates ourselves - manually, it doesn't allow bulk driver downloads, and it annoys with advertising about the paid version of the software.
How to manually update device and printer drivers?
If you do not want to use additional software, you can also try to update the drivers through a semi automatic tool in Windows. To do this, you need to:
- Open the control panel in Windows and select "System and security."
- In the "System" section, click on the "Manage Computer" link.
- In the "Computer Management" window, click on the "System Tools" and "Device Manager" options, respectively.
- In the list of displayed devices, find and click on the one whose driver you want to update.
- In the right pane, click on the "Update driver" button.
- Select "Search for drivers automatically" and follow the on-screen instructions.
If Windows does not find an update for the selected driver, we can try to update it completely manually. To do this, you need to:
- Find the latest version of the driver for the device on the device manufacturer's website or Microsoft's website.
- Download and save the driver file to your computer's hard drive.
- In the "Device properties" window, click on the "Update driver software" tab.
- Click on the "Install software from a known location" button and point to the folder where we saved the downloaded driver file.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver update.